Sunday, December 2, 2007

Memory.



Hard & Soft: Originally uploaded by accrama


“I woke up to see you peeping through the curtain. I took my camera and surprised you with a shot. (When I had it developed, it was my turn to be surprised for you had taken a picture of me while I slept). You screamed, rushed over and tried to wrestle the camera from me. When we stopped, your laughter was replaced by tender looks from those doleful eyes. You hang on to me and did not want me to leave for the college. You also did not want to leave the apartment together with me.


I should not have left you alone. What thoughts must have gone through your head? I could not concentrate at the lecture from lack of sleep and a nagging guilt and worry. Despite several cups of coffee and constant washing of face, I could hardly keep my eyes open. I finally gave up and skipped the balance of the classes.



When I opened the door to my apartment, you ran forward to hug me. Sitting at the edge of the bed, you told me you have spoken to your priest. You told me in a rather cheerful voice that he asked you to leave me. This did not seem to alarm me. I felt it was something you had to do and that it is not something that will not come between us. I started kissing the nape of your neck as you continue speaking. It is quite similar to our situation now, one of us talking as if the other is not there. As if talking to oneself. As you continued talking, I caressed you. I slipped my hand inside your shirt and cupped your breast. You gave me a gentle scolding but did nothing to stop me. Now, I wonder why. When you already decided that will be our last moments together and if the reason came from the church, why did you allow me such liberty? Or were you just borrowing strength from the church?



The phone rang. Your best friend Gloria came over not long after that. The two of you talked in low whispers in the kitchen. I got along well with Gloria and liked her but I did not know what her opinion of me was. I did not believe she would steer you in any direction. She would listen and agree with whatever you decide as good friends will do in such matter. You need the strength of her support. I could probably change your mind then, couldn’t I? But I was only nineteen. I was not ready for such commitment. I doubted you were too. Why did we rush so fast into a situation that would force us apart? Had we taken it slow, what would have happen?



But when you left with Gloria that day, I did not expect that will be the end as in The End. I never saw or heard from you again. Not a single phone call. I did not grieve. I did not pine. I just forget. Completely.”



I stopped my rambling. I waited. I dared not look at her. I did not dare to ask any question because I felt I had no right to. I wished she will say something but the silence is not uncomfortable. It wraps round us like a warm blanket. I’m used to silence. I’m used to being alone. Before the ghosts, I was always alone. When I sat with silence, my mind wanders listlessly like a languid river. When it reached the sea, I looked up at her large expressionless eyes that were the most prominent features of her plain oblong face. Did I hurt her again? Can a ghost be hurt?


A sudden chill seized me. If she is here and if she is a ghost, then she must be dead. But how did she die, so young. A fear swept over me and I desperately hoped she is just a figment of my imagination. “Beth, are you a real ghost?” A shadow crossed those eyes and she stands up to leave.


“Please don’t go. I need you.”


“You didn’t need me then.”



“I need you now.”



“What do you want from me?”



“Please teach me how to forget.”


“You seem to be a very good at it.” I feel that cut deeply. But she is entitled to say it.


In spite of my shame, I appeal “I’ve forgotten how now. Teach me how to forget. How did you do it?”



“It is ironic you should be the one asking me. You must be really desperate. It hurts, doesn’t it? You wish the memory would just disappear. But time does not seem to dull the memory or the pain. If anything, it just exacerbates it. Do you know why? It is because you cannot let go. And do you know why you cannot let go?”



“Tell me, please.”



“No. Telling you won’t do you any good. Let us talk about what you cannot forget. Shall we start with a rainy day in a small hut in Thailand or would you rather start it with a bleak autumn evening in the heart of Tokyo?”


To be continued...

No comments: